Botanical Name: Cymbopogon winterianus
Country of Origin: Vietnam
Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
Plant Part: Leaves
Strength of Aroma: Medium
Aromatic Scent: Lemony citrus type scent, though it is much softer than actual Lemon with subtle wood tones
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Orange Sweet Oil.
Citronella oil is extracted from Cymbopogon nardus (also known as Andropogon nardus) and is of the Graminae (Poaceae) family. It is also known as Sri Lanka or Lenabatu citronella.
Citronella is native to Sri Lanka and Java. This aromatic perennial grows about 1meter (3 feet) high and is a popular ingredient in wax candles, as an insect repellant, and is also widely used in perfumes, soaps, skin lotions and deodorants.
Citronella oil is extracted by the steam distillation of finely chopped fresh, dried or part-dried grass.
Color and Appearance: Slightly yellow to yellow clear liquid
Odor: Having a characteristic odor of citronella
Specific gravity at 20℃: 0.875 - 0.895
Refractive index: at 20℃: 1.460 - 1.480
Optical rotation at 20℃: -6℃~+1℃
The main chemical components: Citronellal: 31 to 39%, Geraniol 19 - 25%, Citronellol: 8.5% to 13%
Citronella Oil Use
Citronella oil's most useful quality is that of it being an insect repellent. It is best used in a spray, a diffuser or on a cotton ball amongst linen. It is also useful in ridding cats and dogs of fleas.
Furthermore, citronella oil helps to clear the mind and has a general toning and tonic effect on the body. It is helpful with colds, flu and minor infections and also has deodorizing qualities.
Anti Bacterial and Anti Septic properties: A chemical constituent named ‘methyl isoeugenol’ is primarily responsible for providing Anti Bacterial properties to Citronella Oil. This oil is effective to treat infections in wounds, colon, urinary tracts, stomach, kidneys, etc.
- Anti Depressant: The aroma oil is such that it stimulates our brain and relaxes it. The depression or anxiety can be treated by using Citronella Oil.
- Anti inflammatory: This Oil is very effective in reducing inflammation to organs related to our digestive system like, liver, stomach and intestines.
- Deodorant: One of the most primitive usages of citronella Oil has been as a deodorant. The fresh Lemon like fragrance of this Oil takes care of our bad body odour.
- Insect Repellent: Many insects and flees can be kept away using Citronella. The smell of the oil keeps even some of the most deadly mosquitoes away.
- Other therapeutic properties of Citronella oil: Diuretic, Anti spasmodic, Febrifuge, Fungicide, Stimulant, Vermifuge, Tonic etc.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas..